Random ramblings after the storm


We’re home!!! Last night, Jon and I slept alone in our own bed for the first time since last Thursday. We both got up with the kids this morning, and I went back to bed around nine and slept until twelve. Jon went to bed shortly after I got up and stayed there until four. We’re exhausted! But our visit with my parents was wonderful and I wouldn’t mind at all if we were given a similar opportunity to spend a week with them next winter! 🙂

When we got home, the sight that met us was just pitiful. Our beautiful trees have been destroyed, some of them are reduced to almost half their size. Our friends (may God bless them abundantly!) gathered the fallen branches into three HUGE piles in our yard, and there are many smaller branches still on the ground and quite a few large branches still stuck in the trees. The house is fine, however, as are our vehicles. Nothing but the trees were damaged and for this we’re grateful.

We spent our first day home resting and didn’t get much done except cleaning up after the animals who were left alone for the week. The litter boxes were in quite a state, and the dog crate needed cleaning since we brought our Great Pyrenees (who was boarded at the vets office) inside last night for the first time since she was a puppy. We’d been planning to make her an indoor dog, anyway, and since the vet gave her a bath before we picked her up, we thought now was a good time to do so. 🙂 She’s doing really well so far, although it’s a little like having another toddler in the house. We can’t take our eyes off of her, lest she chases the cats, pees on the floor, or jumps on the kids. But she has had some obedience training, so she’s doing fairly well. She’s six months old now, and getting huge. I’ll take pictures as soon as I’m able.

Speaking of pictures, we’ll be filing our taxes tomorrow so it’s POSSIBLE that I’ll be ordering a new camera soon! I can assure you that if this is the case, my kids and my husband won’t be seeing my face without a lens in front of it for a very, very long time, and those visiting my blog with a dial-up connection are going to be experiencing very long downloading times. 🙂

There are also a few other changes in the house we’re expecting this month, but I’ll wait until they’re certain to announce them (no, we’re not pregnant [yet] :).)

That’s about all that’s going on after our great ice adventure. Thankfully, our experience was a good one altogether. I know there are many for whom this was not the case and there are many still living without power. I pray that God will be with those who have been less fortunate than our family in this regard. I’m completely, utterly thankful for His provision for us during this time and I’m so thankful for our friends and neighbors and family members who came through for us during this experience. Thanks to them, I’ll always have fond memories of “The Ice Storm of 2009.”

This entry was posted in Daybook, PERSONAL. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Random ramblings after the storm

  1. Kay says:

    Glad you’re home! : )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s